THE PERTH REGIMENT OF CANADA
|VETERANS' MESSAGE BOARD|
This page is open to all Perth veterans and their families who wish to post a message - perhaps to find past comrades or notify other members about events. To have your message posted contact PerthR@yahoo.com.
- Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 18:13:14 +0000 From: Peter George
Subject: Merlin Pickens DCM
Received: Thursday, June 23, 2016, 9:47 PM
The Commendation for Merlin Pickens DCM is missing on the Perth Regiment website.
I am friend of the family and went online and found a copy of the commendation
It is attached and I would appreciate it if you would have it added to the Perth Regiment website.
I am originally from Stratford and in the mid 1950's did two summers as a Perth Reg. cadet.
Great memories of summer camp with the whole regiment (including pipe band) at Niagara on the Lake. The veterans - then still young men themselves - made us feel a part of the regiment.
To: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Subject: RE: Merlin Pickens DCM
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 20:31:53 +0000
Many thanks for sending us this copy of Slim Pickens' recommendation.
I can't understand how you were unable to find a transcript of this document on our website. We have a section entitled "Honours and Awards - Citations" and Pickens is there. Also, in our Master Roll, the entry for him indicates he received the DCM. Please look again to confirm this to your satisfaction.
That's a really nice memory of cadet camp at NOTL.
We so much appreciate you taking the time to send us a copy of the original documentation. I will ask our webmaster to include it in the Citations section.
historian recreated Perth Regiment
- I would be very interesting in being able to communicate with relatives or family relations of Earl Weaver, son of Fred and Annie Weaver of Hope Bay,Ontario.
A few days before Earl was killed,he saved the life of my Father Sgt Emerson Noble D137225 ,Perth Regiment.
Any assistance or guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Terry Noble Edmundston,NB firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pte Forrest Joseph LARRETT B157645
Killed April 28, 1945 in the fighting for the Delfzijl Pocket.
Buried at Almelo cemetery.
- Pte. Ross Lavern Freeman
Family would like to know if there is any veterans out there who remember him or served with him. He was from Stratford Ontario and volunteered in A company in September 1939, Ross was severly wounded sometime during the war (but we are not sure when) and he was impacted and changed for the rest of his life. He suffered from problems long after his wounds he got while serving. If anyone has any information out there it would be very much appreciated if you could contact Colton Cook- email@example.com
- Nelson George WHEELER.
The Innisfil Historical Society in Ontario is involved in writing about WW II veterans who were connected to Innisfil. One of them is Nelson George WHEELER, Perth Regiment. He was born in Innisfil and lived in Bruce Co when he enlisted in September 1939. We have a bit of information about him before the war. We are not able to find where he went after the war or any family he had after the war. Any leads or information would be greatly appreciated and can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Sincerely, Diana Gendron, member of Innisfil Historical Society.
Posted October 30 2012
- Martin Hampton of Portsmouth, England asks if anyone can identify the men in this photograph. He has been told that the fellow on the right of the rear row is Joseph Bullock, a sergeant in C. Coy.
Martin's particular interest is the fellow on the left in the front row. He believes that man has the given name "Gordon." All help much appreciated. Please reply to Gavin Watt - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted November 28, 2010.
- Re: Pte Donald H. Patterson - His family would like to know if there are any persons living who served with Donald and remember him. He enlisted early in April or May 1940, originally with the Elgin Regiment. He was shipped out sometime in the summer of 1941. His daughter may be reached at: Lesley Patterson, 110-960 West 6th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, V5Z 4J3, Tel. 604-739-6260, Fax 604-738-1107, E-mail email@example.com. Many thanks!
Posted December 27, 2006.
- L/Cpl Paul Dyck of the Perth Regiment. The notice of his death contained the following information about his unit: 2DD (AF) C Inf CR Wing, #2 COY for Bfd Y. We are family members of Paul Dyck, B157575, who was killed in action in Italy, Dec 12, 1944 in the vicinity of Villanova, near the Lamone River. He had enlisted early in 1944, and was shipped out sometime in early summer 1944. His death was given as Dec 12, 1944, according to a report from Capt D.C. Smith, and he was identified from the disc on his body. My wife is a niece. Paul's parents were Jacob and Justina Dyck of Laird, Sask. We visited Paul's grave in 2002 at the Ravenna War Cemtery. We walked over the terrain where we think the battles occurred that caused his death and the deaths of many others. We would be interested to know: (1) if there are any persons living who served with Paul and remember him, and (2) whether anyone knows any details about the incident/specific engagement which took his life. We can be reached at: Harold and Neoma Jantz, 862 Kildonan Drive, Winnipeg, MB R2K 2E9. Tel. 204-667-1419. Fax: 204-654-9182. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Many thanks!
Posted October 27, 2004.
- Pichie, Lawrence (Lorne), Pte. C77937 Former W.W.II veteran of the Mediterranean Theatre - Perth Regiment. Passed away November 18, 1981 at the age of 66 of a heart attack. Family would like to contact anyone who may have known or come in contact with him and/or may have pictures of him while he served in the army.
Please contact his daughter Sharon Pichie at (613) 724-1168 or e-mail to email@example.com or contact his grandson Clark Cummings by e-mail to Cummings.CA2@forces.gc.ca or firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone to (204) 765-5068. Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Posted August 12, 2004.
- Michael B. O'Donnell, A11867 of Cambridge, Ontario passed away peacefully in the early morning hours of July 5, 2004 in Cambridge, Ontario with his family at his side. Visitation at Corbett Funeral Home, 95 Dundas St., Cambridge, Ontario on Wednesday, July 7, 2004 from 2 - 4 p.m. and 7 - 9 p.m. Funeral at St. Patrick's Church, 53 Wellington Street, Cambridge, Ontario on Thursday, July 8, 2004 at 11:00 a.m.
Posted July 6, 2004.
- ANNIVERSARY OF THE LIBERATION OF BERGEN OP ZOOM - OPPORTUNITY
Bergen op Zoom, May 21th 2004
Here a letter from Bergen op Zoom, Holland. I will introduce myself to you who don't know me. My name is Leon Roosenboom, at the age of 75. My job is to approach the men who liberated our city at October 27th 1944, that's almost 60 years ago.
My question is: is there a chance for some old-liberators (if they want, they can bring there families) to visit our city around October 27th 2004 or around May 5th 2005? If so, would you please contact me as soon as possible at the following address:
Frans Halsstraat 51
4625 BS Bergen op Zoom
You can also send an e-mail to:
Thank you, on behalf of the organization '60 years of liberation in Bergen op Zoom' but most on behalf of myself.
Posted June 12, 2004.
- Joe Blackburn, son of Les (a.k.a. "Blackie", Pte., B-42050) who served with the Perths is looking for any stories/info regarding his Dad's company/actions. You can contact him at: email@example.com.
Posted November 24, 2003.
- I am the granddaughter of George Henry Bohms and am looking for any information that anyone can give me concerning him. He was in World War 2. I have no idea where he was stationed. I believe he was a member of the Perth Regiment. Please contact Sandy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted November 7th, 2003.
- Prof. Charles Johnston is performing research on LIEUT. JAMES ALLAN (JIM) YOUNG. LIEUT. YOUNG commanded the Scout platoon and was killed while on a patrol on the night of 19/20 April 1944. Specifically he is seeking to speak directly with CPL. G.L. FENWICK and PTES. D.C. KEAN, H.A. WHITE, and A.H. CORBETT, who served with the scout platoon and participated in the patrol in question. Charles Johnson is a retired McMaster History Professor and can be reached at: email@example.com.
Posted July 28th, 2003.
- Patrick Robinson is still researching the history of the 1st Battalion Perth Regimental Band (circa 1931). My father Arnold Robinson was in the band at that time. Lt Col. R. Trow was in charge and D.A. Withrow was the bandmaster. Please reply if you know of any source material of the band. I have a group photo if anyone is interested. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted July 10th, 2003.
Updated June 12th, 2004.
- Charles Bailey is interested in obtaining any information from wartime buddies etc., on the wartime experiences of his uncle Jack Bailey, who was KIA in Italy, May 1944. We've obtained his military record from Ottawa, however, there is little information on how/where exactly he was killed. Contact Charles Bailey email@example.com.
Posted February 17th, 2003.
- Lieutenant Roy Maxwell Storey of Rockwood, Ontario passed away January 27th, 2001. He was enlisted with the Perths from 7 February 1941 to 21 February 1946, serving in the Italian and Northwest European campaigns. After the war he was active in the Royal Canadian Legion, serving 9 terms as President of Br.197 in Acton and becoming an Honourary Life Member. He became well known across Southern Ontario as a farmer and auctioneer until his retirement. Please contact his son, Brian Storey, at Brian.Storey@peelsb.com if you have any stories or pictures.
Posted January 4th, 2003.
- The Walsh family is trying to get more information on Lawerence (Larry) Vincent Walsh and his war time activities. He was with the Perths (3rd Battalion) From 9-11-39 until Taken on service with the Canadian Special Service Battalion from 4-1-44 until 12-17-44. He finished out his service with the 1st Light Anti-aircraft Regiment as a bombardier until being struck off service 7-4-45. He was dicharged 9-8-45. Any information that could be passed on would greatly be appreciated. Please send your correspondence to Paul Walsh at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank You !
Posted September 20th, 2002.
- The family of the late Mr. Benny Lee A117827 of Windsor ON, would like to contact other members of the Regt to learn more about their grandfather's involvement with the Regt and wartime experiences. Please e-mail Richard Egan (grandson) email@example.com.
Posted September 20th, 2002.
- I would appreciate communicating with anyone who served in Italy with Arnie Liske formerly of Inglis, Manitoba. Contact Arnie Liske at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted September 20th, 2002.
- Bette Schmadl of Kitchener Ontario is trying to identify the persons in the following picture: Reunion 3. If you can help please contact Bette at email@example.com.
Posted September 20th, 2002
- I am looking for Normandy veterans and their families. I am compiling their experiences and memories of their time served in Normandy. If you can help in any way, I would love to hear from you. I can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted September 20th, 2002
- The granddaughter of Henry Gaidy is looking for any information about his wartime activities. He enlisted in June 1941. Contact email@example.com.
Posted July 9th, 2002
- The family of B-68647 Cpl. James (Jimmy) Chambers of the The Perth Regiment "D" Company, killed on April 10, 1945 along with Pte. Joe Shinnick near Arnhem would like any individual who has any personal thoughts about Jimmy and his war time experience to contact his nephew Michael James at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted July 9th, 2002
- JAMES CAMERON MURDOCH, Jr. of Albuquerque, New Mexico, Perth Regiment WWII veteran, died 1st, August 2001. He served in Italian and Northwest European campaigns and attended Perth Regiment reunions every two years. His brother, George, would like to correspond with Perth Regiment veterans who knew him. Write George Murdoch, 94348 Carlson Heights Lane, North Bend, OR 97459, or email: email@example.com.
Posted October 27, 2001
- Don Oatman is trying to contact Sgt. Bob Turnbull who lived in Stratford Ont. He later moved to the West. Contact through email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted September 5, 2001
- Ed. Fenn, Perth veteran (signalman with "C" Co), is looking to make contract with comrades Art Eglinton, Kenny Smart, John McLeod, Jim Bell. Contact: email@example.com.
Posted September 5, 2001
- Steve Snider is attempting to obtain information concerning his grandfather’s, Private John Snider - C Coy, wartime experiences. Please contact: steve@13AllHallows.co.uk.
Posted September 2, 2001
- Joseph K. Morrison is looking for information concerning his grandfather’s, William Morrison, involvement with the Perth Regiment during WWII. Please Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted August 7, 2001
- Matthew Sutherland of Bracebridge, Ontario is looking for information concerning his grandfather’s, Lance Corporal Kenneth Earl, involvement with the Perth Regiment during WWII. Please Contact: email@example.com.
Posted August 6, 2001
- Robin Hesse, is conducting research on the Perth Regiment for an upcoming publication. Specifically: details concerning the return of the Regiment on January 16, 1946. Please Contact him at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted July 31, 2001
- Patrick Robinson is researching the history the "1st Battalion Perth Regimental Band" in 1931 or circa 1939. Contact him at: Breakthrutheblue@powersurfr.com.
Posted June 29, 2001
- Betty Jonker of the Netherlandsand is attempting to make contact with Sgt. John Derrick MM. He lived in Canada in the city of Montreal, Saranac Avenue. Please contact: email@example.com.
Posted April 30, 2001
- The family of B/134857 PTE. HOWARD WILLIAM WOODCOCK killed in action Monday, 17th January 1944, age 21, is looking for information concerning their father's wartime experiences. You can contact them at: woody993PC@aol.com.
Posted April 7, 2001
- Veteran Affairs Canada in the Commemoration Division is trying to locate the next of kin for the following Perths KIA:
- Pte. Jack Bertram Crawford # A/11663, KIA January 17, 1944. Originally from Kapuskasing, Ontario his Mother's name was Pearl (maiden name Bennett) and father was Fred.
- Pte. Norman Lloyd Hurrell # A/49891, KIA January 17, 1944. Originally from the Chatham, Ontario area, his parent's names were William and Elizabeth. He was married and his wife's name was Grace Olive, also of Chatham. They had a son, "Norman Charles William Hurrell", who was one year old when his father died
If you have any information, please contact Debby Floyd at Veteran Affairs Canada: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted April 2nd, 2001
- The family of the late Cpl. Robert J. Arndt, a WWII Perth veteran, is looking for information concerning their father's wartime activities. Contact: email@example.com.
Posted March 6, 2001
- The family of former Perth member Pte. Alexander Brown Walker (A/59804) killed in action Friday, 1st September 1944, age 29, is looking for infomation concerning their father's wartime activities. Contact: mleblanc@MNSi.net.
Posted January 11th, 2001
- The family of Pte. James Robertson D71502 KIA, Tuesday, 18th January 1944, age 39, is looking for information concerning their father's wartime activities. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted November 10, 2000
- Former Perth Roy Saunders MM is looking to make contact with former members of the Regt. He can be reached at R.D. Saunders, 19 Robin Hood Road, Etobicoke, Ont., M9A 2W6.
Posted November 2nd., 2000
- The family of the late Mr. Anthony A. Hubercheck, a WWII Perth veteran, is looking for infomation concerning their father's wartime activities. Contact email@example.com.
Posted July 19th, 2000
- The family of the late Thomas Smith, a WWII Perth veteran, is looking for infomation concerning their grandfather's wartime activities. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted July 19th, 2000
- The Testaments of Honour. Blake Heathcote is conducting a project in cooperation with The Royal Canadian Military Institute, The Canadian War Museum,Veterans' Affairs, and the Royal Canadian Legion by videotaping oral histories of Canadian military veterans. Those veterans wishing to contribute may contact Mr. Heathcote at: email@example.com or visit the website at www.thegraphicword.on.ca/Testaments/intro.html.
Posted May 1st, 2000
- Dr. Chris Madsen, Assistant Director Warfare Studies, Canadian Forces College Toronto is conducting research on Lt. Col. Maurice Andrew, OIC Perth Regt. Sept.1944 - Jan. 1946. Anyone who has any information concerning Lt Col. Andrew is asked to contact Dr. Madsen at: firstname.lastname@example.org. As a side note, Dr. Madsen's wife's grandfather was Stafford Johnston, author of "The Fighting Perths".
Posted March 26th, 2000
- Dr. Chris Madsen, Assistant Director Warfare Studies, Canadian Forces College Toronto, submitted a proposal to present a paper at Wilfrid Laurier University's 11th Military History Colloquium on 18-19 August 2000 entitled: "A Tactical Commander's Finale: Maurice Andrew and the Perth Regiment's Assault on the Outerworks of Delfzijl". It looks at Andrew's command philosophy in the planning and execution of the attack on the Dutch port and German naval fortress. The paper builds upon his current research and previous work on The Royal Navy and German Naval Disarmament, 1942-1947 (Frank Cass, 1999).
Posted May 30th, 2000
- The family of Sgt. ORVILLE G. HARDY, A11544 would like to contact John Wilson and or Pat Patton or anyone else who was with my father in Italy and Holland to further fill in gaps in what we know of his wartime experiences. He joined the Perths in 1939 and was later attached to RCEME, I believe.... Contact email@example.com.
Posted January 29th, 2000
- The family of Pte. Lambert John Huber, who passed away on New Year's Day, 2000 is looking for any information regarding Lambert's wartime service with the Perth Regiment. He enlisted in 1942 and served in Italy where he was wounded twice before returning to Canada. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted January 13th, 2000
- The family of the late SGT. GEORGE EDWARD GRANT, MM, CD, (A11200, 18PL Dog Coy.) would like to contact other members of the Regt. to learn more of George's wartime experiences. Contact Debbie Best email@example.com.
Posted January 4th, 2000
- The family of the late Mr. Winteringham would like to contact other members of the Regt. to learn more their grandfather's involement with the Regt. and wartime experiences. Contact Claudia Niemand firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted January 4th, 2000
Return to Main Perth Regt. Page
Prepared by: J. McRae PerthR@yahoo.com
March 13, 2007